Sunday, July 15, 2007

Which Way Do I Turn?!?


Today marks our first full day in RB. We are still without internet service (I'm at my in-laws' blogging away) and feeling very much disconnected as we can't even watch TV (the HGTV junkies that we are). At least we have a car and our cell phones . . . so that we can get lost in the South Bay area and call the friends we have yet to make here.
HELP! I'M LOST!
Air Boss and I were on our way to visit a church this morning and we were driving out of the driveway. We had to stop at the end of the driveway to wait for the GPS to get its satellite points so that it could direct us to where we were going. We were literally relying on the GPS to tell us whether to make a left or a right turn from our driveway. How's that for being totally lost? I'm a bit hesitant to drive only because I have yet to learn how to manuerver the Black Hawk out of the garage (it's like a 15-point turn) and around the driveway turn. I thought Boston had some pretty tight turns.
LIFE SPRINGS CHURCH
A couple of months back when we were last in LA, Air Boss and I were flipping through a local newspaper and noticed a rather funky advertisement. The ad pictured the bottoms of two pairs of bare feet - intertwined in what looked a rather itimate moment. The eye-catching phrase of "sex" and "Victoria's real Secret" made me take a second look. The advertising worked on us because we ended up visiting the church that was printed on the ad. The small (about 100 people) church meets weekly at an AMC theater with the kids' Sunday School classes in separate theaters. It was an intresting service with a bit of a the Boston Vineyard flavor that we've come to enjoy. It was a little bit weird to hear "Transformers" in the nextdoor theater during the sermon though.
IS THE WEATHER REALLY AS NICE A PEOPLE SAY?
You bet. The best way for me to describe the weather here in RB is "sunny and warm with cool fresh ocean breezes" Utterly comfortable. Utterly enjoyable. I can smell the ocean from our apartment. It's about the low to mid-70's during the day and then cools down to the mid-60's at night. Lolli even asked for a jacket last night. I've noticed that I'm comfortable even wearing long pants. We have yet to visit the beach but we're hoping to make it out sometime this week. We're going to try to get 'Shroom over his fear and dislike of the sand. Lolli, in the meantime, keeps asking to go to the beach and be "buried in the sand."
Mc-WHAT?
Of course, we've already feasted at our favorite hamburger joint - In-N-Out burgers. They make their fries fresh (I saw the fancy handpress that cuts the potatoes in strips) and all they have are hamburgers. They know what they do well and they stick to it. Mmmm. Bye bye Macky D's. Hello In-N-Out.
Well, it's time to head back to RB as we have a 45-minute drive ahead of us (everything is at least a 45 minute drive). Just wanted to say to all the Omigee-fans, the fish is doing great and has eaten small "meals" since his re-inaugaration back to the tank. I'm slowly re-introducing food so he doesn't blow up. He's still a bit skittish as he darts about wildly and flares his fighting face at me. I don't even notice his ripped tail so overall, he's one happy Californian. =)

No comments: