Sunday, July 8, 2007

Day 2: Stayin' Alive (ooh, ooh, ooh . . . )

Well, we’ve made it to our second day on the trek across America. Overall, I think today went much better than yesterday. If I were to rate each day on a scale of 1 to 10 with “1” being an absolute atrocious day (a living nightmare) and “10” being the ultimate perfect family vacation day, yesterday would have been a “5” (a “2” if I considered what happened last night). Today was a “7” – a definite improvement!

HI OHIO!
‘Shroom and Lolli have both asked the dreaded question, “Are we there yet?” and now I have banned it from the car. The question they ARE allowed to ask is, “What state are we in?” and we had a bit of fun saying “Hi Ohio!"

“INDIANA-INS”?
We’re now in Indiana and I’m not sure which time zone we’re in. I remember that a certain part of this state doesn’t participate in Daylight Savings but I don’t remember which part. While we were having dinner at a local restaurant here, Air Boss and I were trying to figure out what to call people from Indiana (we’ve noticed that the folks here are quite nice). We finally had to stop our waitress and ask her point blank. Hoosiers. Did you know that? Also, southern Hoosiers call the northern Hoosiers “Yankees.” We had a good laugh about that one.

A BAD JOKE GONE . . . BAD
Being a bunch of Yankees (regionally speaking, ‘cause we’re definitely no Yankees fan), we decided we would try out some authentic Indiana-in (Hoosiers - we now know better) food. So we had a delicious Texan roadhouse dinner. Seriously. It was quite good. I ordered a margarita with my dinner and when the waitress brought it out, she said that she should have carded me. I took that as a compliment so I was more than happy to show her my ID. She said that it wasn’t necessary and Air Boss quipped that the two kids were enough proof of age. I then joked, “well, I had them when I was 14.” Without batting an eye, our waitress said “yeah, I had my kid when I was 19.” Oops. I wasn’t sure if I needed to show my ID after that.

THE FISH
I’m sure there are a few of you out there who could care less about our day but are dying to find out the latest on Omigee. The not-so-bright-but-awfully-stubborn blue guy is on Day 2 of his hunger strike. ‘Shroom and Lolli are concerned about him enough to inquire every time the car turned, “Is Omigee okay? His water is splashing.” It’s ironic that THEY are telling him to eat his food. I can’t believe I’m so concerned over our $2.50 fish. And blogging about it.

Well, it’s time to go to bed as ‘Shroom is still awake and the light from the computer is keeping him awake. I’m glad to report (fingers crossed), no smelly things to clean up. =)

3 comments:

lauriewalle said...

Excellent! THank you, Jesus! Praying for good health for all of you, even the fish. Changing environments can make them stop eating. No big. Overfeeding and heat will do them in. Should I pray for him or would you rather I not? Praying for a light-hearted spirit for you and Stephen. Can you fake it if you can't feel it? Love you guys, missing you already, Laurie

Steph - the 313 said...

Denise - Wow! What an endeavor. Our prayers are certainly with you guys... Your blog and pictures are too funny and too sweet. Thank you for sharing. Journey mercies. (sorry you missed our State! You would have loved it!) Love from Tree Town, Steph & Mike

Unknown said...

Hi, Yeh's!
It's fun reading about your adventures :) Praying for a safe journey, and excited that you will be joining us in sunny SoCal!

As for li'l Omigee..hope he makes it! I had a li'l guy once named Jorge...I was told he could survive on being fed only 1x/wk..so I left him w/ my roomie/our cousin for 2 weeks over winter break one time..let's just say..I never took into account that it could actually get too cold for a tropical fish in the winter here in SD!! Hope you have a happier ending than I did! ;)

Btw, we met up w/ someone from OKC last night! :D She's looking forward to see you guys soon!

Happy trails! :)