Thursday, July 12, 2007

Day 6: The Final Stretch

Today we saw our first signs of LA! We can't believe the end of this journey is almost here. Even though we have several hundred more miles to go, we are looking forward to giving the Black Hawk a much needed rest from all this travel.

DRIED MANGOS
In anticipation of long periods of inactivity and being on the road (a recipe for constipation - especially for the kids), I made sure I bought a big ol' bag of dried magos for the trip. I've learned that they work wonders on a plugged up system (sorry for the crassness of this topic) and taste better than dried apricots. Anyway, we've all made a significant dent in the bag. I've also tried to combat the problem by booking hotels with swimming pools. Which brings me to my next topic . . .

HOTEL SWIMMING POOLS
We've discovered that hotel pools are not commeasurate with their diamond star rating. As a matter of fact, the best pool that we used was in a 2-star motel in Richmond, IN. Yesterday's indoor pool was not heated and it was torturously cold (and we know what cold is because we've had to endure a broken pool heater at the local YMCA during the kids' winter swim classes). Today's indoor pool was heated but the waters were so murky (body grease? suntan lotion? unwashed bodies? broken pool filter?), that we felt like we were swimming in a diluted septic system. Ok, so I'm exaggerrating a little bit but still, I made sure I washed 'Shroom and Lolli extra good after that swim.

THE FISH
I've received so many inquiries about the fish (which makes me believe that you are only reading this for the fish updates) that I knew I better jot something down about Omigee. Well, Omigee is still refusing to eat and hasn't eaten anything since we left six days ago. He pooped the first day on the road and he hasn't since then. He's looking a bit skinnier but he's still swimming and no longer doing that freakish side-floating thing that had me in a panic. I'm beginning to think that the little blue guy is a lot tougher than I give him credit and he may actually make it to see LA..

GOOD-BYE NM, HELLO AZ!
We got a bit of a late start this morning as we checked out of our Santa Rosa, NM hotel. In the hustle and bustle of getting things packed up, the kids pulled together, and settling a slight dispute on our room bill, we had almost left without Omigee! He was tucked away on a small but nicely private ledge by the bathroom sink (out of sight, out of mind). I couldn't believe that with all the worry and concern over him, I almost left him behind in New Mexico! I'm sure I would live with the guilt for the rest of my life had things ended up that way.

We'll we're going to push ahead and try to make it into LA just in time for their Friday late afternoon rush hour (which starts at about 3 PM on Friday's and ends at about 2 PM Friday of the following week). We've decided to forgo the Grand Canyon even though Air Boss missed seeing it 12 years ago on his cross-country drive from SF to Boston. There's no doubt in my mind that there are future road trips ahead for this family and the Grand Canyon National Park will be one of those trips . . . just maybe not so soon after this one!

4 comments:

cwc said...

You're almost there, which is great! But I'm sad that the blog may end...it seriously is the most entertaining thing that I read all day (though that may tell you something about life with a newborn and picky 4 year old...). Omigee is a miracle fish.

West By East: said...

This blog will NOT end once we reach LA. If anything, the adventure is only just beginning!

Next up: Life in LA (LILA) Series!

Unknown said...

maybe we can do Grand Canyon together..Air Boss & Ironchef can shoot pix to their heart's content while the rest of us find a nice CLEAN pool to chill out in ;P

West By East: said...

Lingo, that sounds great! Although we have to warn the guys that it has happened several times that photographers have died simply by stepping too close to the edge of the Canyon (and falling off) while shooting pix. I'm all for CLEAN pools!