Sunday, July 8, 2007

Day 1: A Bad (Smelly) Night


a long day
Originally uploaded by radioflyer007
Well, as an addendum to last night's Day One post, the day didn't quite end with us all sleeping peacefully with smiling faces.

'Shroom and Lolli (thanks the kids, our trips will never be boring and uneventful) have shared a queen and double bed before. So, why should it be a big deal when they were given one of the double beds in the hotel to share? I don't know . . .

They wrestled and wrangled the bedsheets away from each other and although Lolli eventually fell asleep before 11 PM, she woke up again and the fighting ensued. I heard a loud slap and then Lolli crying. I eventually found out that 'Shroom had kicked her on the thigh and what should have been a simple time out for the kids turned into sleeping with vomit in my hair.

Lolli can really work up the tears and even induce vomitting. Normally I don't really care ("Here's a large tofu bucket - if you're gonna puke, you hold it yourself!") but I really did care last night when she puked all over my back as I held her.

Splat!

I felt the warm runny (and chunky) contents of her stomach run down my back and heard another

Splat!

as it it the bed. The hotel bed.

Ugg. Air Boss and I must have spent about 45 minutes cleaning (or trying to) everything. I had to wash Lolli's clothes and my clothes extra good. With limited to no laundry service, can you imagine what a puked on T-shirt will smell like in the nice warm air in AZ or NM or TX? Ick. The car would smell like a vomit-mobile.

Needless to say, please pray for alertness as Air Boss and I drive and patience with the kids. We both got awful sleep as Air Boss slept contorted in a double bed with two kids (with Lolli trying to sleep perpendicular) and me in the vomit bed. I couldn't understand why the smell was so bad as I tried to sleep in the bed. I thought I had cleaned up decently.

I woke up and understood why.

I had dried vomit in my hair.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh guys, we feel with you! Hang in there!
The W'lis

lauriewalle said...

What a rough start! Keep your chin(s) up! You can do it! I know you can! Praying for some FUN for you guys today and tomorrow.
Laurie

KWensel said...

OOOooooohhhh.....not fun. So sorry, guys. We're praying for a peaceful day today....

K&DW

cwc said...

Boochie (John-Luke's Yoyo-annointed nick-name....I LOVE all the nicknames!) is on a sleeping strike: only 2 45-minute naps all day until right now as he's sleeping in the Ergo baby on my chest as I'm reading your blog. I am barely holding in the chuckles because I don't want to wake him. Dee, you really have a bloggin' talent...I seriously have tears in my eyes right, but I'm sure the vomiting wasn't very fun. (Yoyo has been know to fuss-to-vomit as well). We hope night 2 went better and night 3 is blissful!...and the Boochie is now screaming ... bye!