Monday, September 3, 2007

Visiting the Valley


Stanford University
Originally uploaded by radioflyer007
. . . Silicon Valley, that is.

We've just returned from visiting family and friends in the Silicon Valley and Bay Area where we spent the past five days. San Jose was in the mid to upper 90's and I had assumed it was much warmer up there than down in LA. Well, I soon found out that LA was (and still is) in the midst of a heat wave. Even mild RB reached the upper 80's today. I'm so spoiled already.

Our road trip started out painfully slow as we (surprise!) hit traffic in LA. Our six hour trip quickly became seven hours as Garmin (our GPS) predicted 63 minutes of traffic delays. Unfortunately, it was correct.

Well, our trip and stay in the Valley included a visit to Coalinga (where the entire city reeked of fresh manure on a hot summer day), a shopping outing to Gilroy where garlic wafted through the air (home of the Annual Garlic Festival), a walk through picturesque Stanford University (see photo above) where four weddings took place in the course of one afternoon, and a hilly drive to UC Berkeley's (Air Boss' alma mater) cyclotron - the world's first atom splitting machine.

It was weird (for lack of a better word) for me to return to Redondo Beach and have it be "home." My dad would frequently say on the last leg of a vacation, "the best part of a trip is coming home." Well, RB doesn't quite feel like home to me but I guess in the absence of home being anywhere else, I guess it's the closest thing.

Well, welcome (sort of) home. The summer is over and school is starting. Hope you all have a great new (academic) year!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

happy 1st day of school to 'Shroom! :) stay COOL..
btw, our Garmin is coming today...we'll see how well it works here in SD :)
sounds like you like it?

Unknown said...

Oh Dee, I hear you! HOME IS WHERE YOUR HEART IS... is true. I hope that your heart will be at home, soon. Look at me... Boston became my home. If it happened to me, it certainly can to you, too.
BTW, we've had blue sky for such a long time, it is getting so boring! As Felix says, it's like in Southern CA (?!) I am on the lookout for clouds, fog and rain... :)
We miss you guys.