Monday, September 17, 2007

Autumn and . . . Palm Trees?!

I think fall is one of New England's prettiest seasons and I'm just about missing it now. Just this past weekend, I managed to watch (simultaneously thanks to Air Boss hooking up a smaller secondary TV next to the large big screen) both the Red Sox and Patriots game. Some of the fans in Fenway and Gillette Stadium were wearing knit hats and fleece jackets. I started missing home when I saw that.

Okay, so I'm not one to really wear knit hats (unless I'm out shoveling snow in windy blizzard conditions), but I do love my fleece. I could almost smell the brisk cold air in Boston, taste the hot apple cider that comes out in September, see the first few leaves give a teasing foretaste of the autumn colors to come next month. Nothing like that out here. Although I have noticed the mornings have been a bit cooler.

So, feeling cold this morning, I put on my zip up fleece before I walked 'Shroom to school. He and I were wearing our hoodies, long pants (me still in flip flops as I will most likely wear them year round). We walked to the end of the driveway and saw The Others. The Others were wearing shorts and T's - two were even brazen enough to be wearing tank tops! I looked at myself and realized, I have truly become wussified (see February 19th's post for an "official" definition of this word).

The air was nippy and the temps were probably in the mid to upper 60's. The Others didn't seem cold or fazed by the cooler morning temps. I knew that by noontime, I would be wearing shorts, but still - I felt a bit self-conscious.

I looked up the sky and saw the big droopy palm leaves from the tall skinny trees outlining the block in our neighborhood. Nope - not quite the same. No majestic maples, no old and ostentatious oaks, no barky birches. I even miss the prickly pine trees.

Well, I'm in L.A. Maybe tomorrow I'll try to leave the fleece at home. At least I can hide the long-johns under my jeans.

=)

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

sigh. you shouldn't talk to me in february or march about the glories of true winter and seasons, but reading your post reminded me of why i love the seasons. i think you should go buy your apple cider and pumpkin lattes anyway. it helps 'evoke' the feeling of fall. I will look forward to your "christmas with palm trees..?" posting in december!! :)
p.s. I wore fleece the other day when temps dropped into the 50's. and there were still people wearing shorts. Today started out at 52 and will go up to 82.
you should just start hooking up with some web cams focused on fall folliage in new england. it will cheer your spirits. :)

Unknown said...

hehe...don't worry, Ironchef laughs at me everytime i pull out the fleece blanket to watch tv..& it's 65 degrees outside..
oh, & i love my fleece jacket too! ;)
you can laugh when you start seein' people walk around in their big poofy coats & Ugg boots during the sunny SoCal "winter" ;P

hopeng said...

Just think of all those bags of leaves you don't have to deal with anymore!

West By East: said...

Yes, I'll drink the pumpkin lattes and cider and wear my fleece without shame. And I'll even relish the fact that I won't get blisters from raking the leaves!

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

This is really funny. Since I just moved to San Jose from LA, I am learning to adjust to the weather up here too. It has cooled down here, and it's just too cold and too early for a home sick Southern Californian! Put on my fleece the other day, and saw others in their short sleeves! I guess we are just 2 home sick puppies, anything and everything makes us miss home.....

And I miss my palm trees...

Unknown said...

You guys crack me up! I am still teasing Felix when he walks around like a Californian here in MA - when it gets cold, he's wearing shorts, a T-Shirt ... and a sweater over the shirt, expecting it to get warmer! :)As for me, when it's cool, I am definitely wearing jeans and long sleeves, expecting it to stay cold...but maybe that's European?