Saturday, September 29, 2007

Happy Birthday 'Shroom!


carriage ride
Originally uploaded by radioflyer007
Dear 'Shroom,

I can't believe you've turned five today! In some ways I can remember the little peanut who swam in his newborn clothes like it was last month, and in other ways, I wonder "has it only been five years"? Yes, you have definitely changed my life, turned it upside down, inside out, and everything in between.

Even having known you your entire life, I still feel I'm learning about who you are, what makes you tick, what makes you sad, and what brings you joy. And quite honestly, I don't think I'll ever stop learning about who you are.

There are some things that I DO know about you. Things that may change over time and things I may even forget as you get older. So, I'm writing them down so that I can remind myself when I'm older and my memory fails me.

You aren't the quickest in your class, you certainly aren't the most talkative, and you most definitely aren't the tallest. There are different qualities that I believe describe you just fine. You are the most caring, kind-hearted, and generous five year old I know. When you laugh, others can't help smile and laugh with you. When others cry, you can't help but comfort them in your gentle ways.

Your little sister Lolli was so sad that she didn't have a birthday to celebrate today--and even sadder that there were no birthday gifts for her to unwrap. As eager as you were to rip the paper off your presents, you generously offered your gifts to your sister to help you unwrap. You didn't even mind when she tore the paper off before you had lifted a corner.

And the animal crackers. No matter how many I pack for you in your lunch bag, you always come home from school with exactly two saved crackers. One for me and one for Daddy.

I've never told you this but I have two very special moments in my day. One of them is walking home from school with you. You tell me how much you've missed me and how glad you are to see me. But you don't use words. I know it by the way you kiss the back of my hand that you're holding. And the second special moment in my day is when you give me a super wet juicy kiss good-night.

One day you will learn your ABC's and one day you'll be able to write your name all by yourself. But there are many things you've already mastered that many of us adults have yet to learn. Kindness. Sensitivity. Sincerity. Compassion.

You have grown tremendously these past five years. But because of you, I've grown so much--in ways I never would have imagined. You are indeed a very special boy. Happy birthday!

I love you,
Mommy

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow, what a touching letter. I am all teared up now.

Happy Birthday, Mr. Strawberry!

cwc said...

I am also all teared up. Such a sweet gift to a sweet little boy. Inspires me to do the same.