Tuesday, August 28, 2007

RBPD Smackdown & Car Jamming . . .

. . . well, as they say, only in L.A.

RBPD LIVE ACTION
So, I was out running some errands with 'Shroom and Lolli mid-morning yesterday. The kids were about to climb into the Blackhawk so we could head back home when 'Shroom noticed a fairly low-flying helicopter. Not a big deal - we see them all the time. I ushered the kids into the car and noticed that the bird wasn't flying. It was hovering. Really still. For quite some time.

Keeping one eye on the kids as they buckled in, I kept glancing over to see what the deal was. Just as I was about to shut the car door, I heard a broadcast message coming from the direction of the hovering chopper.

"Please surrender yourself. You will not be hurt."

Wow - is this really happening? The Blackhawk door is still open and the kids can hear this.

"This is the Redondo Beach Police Department. Surrender yourself and you will not be hurt!"

Uh, so it's getting pretty interesting here and at this point, I'm openly and unabashedly gawking. I'm half-expecting a FOX truck to be whipping around the corner with cameramen hanging off the side to get film footage for an upcoming "Cops" episode.

"PUT YOUR WEAPON DOWN NOW!!"

Okay - I've heard enough. I've got kiddies in the car. Time to go home. As I'm driving home, I'm thinking "Wow - so much for a nice laidback quiet beach town. I'm living in the 'hood!"


HOW MANY PEOPLE CAN YOU FIT IN A . . . ?
car?

Well, if you're an Asian teen hanging out at the local Blockbuster in Torrance on a Tuesday evening, the answer is eight. Two in the front, five in the back, and one in the way back - like the trunk back.

Air Boss and a friend were picking up a video and saw a suspicious looking crowd of teens loitering around a car. One car. And lots of kids. Air Boss and friend watched in amazement (or was it more dumbfoundedness?!) at the spectacle.

As one of the teens climbed into the trunk and anther cohort slammed it shut behind him, it was apparent they didn't know (or could care less) that two teens died in Chicago and another two near L.A. while "trunking." Wow - anything for a ride with friends.

Well, just another boring day in the South Bay.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Around here helicopters hover to update radio listeners about traffic jams. How boring.
Since our kids are convinced that we will be moving to CA (versus Milton, MA), I will not tell them your exciting stories of helicopters and overcrowded cars - that would be one more reason for them to want to move to CA!! :)

Anonymous said...

I just discovered your blog thanks to the update email. I have spent the last 35 minutes enjoying your journey and hope you'll continue writing! I totally relate to the fish storyline. I had a crazy experience with my cat, Sammy while moving, but that is the subject for another blog. Having moved back home to MI last year, many of your adventures/struggles/joys ring true (although our adventures have not included any little Shrooms or Lolles). Last year at this time, Paul and I were doing a lot of sitting around in our newly arranged and spacious home wondering how long it was going to take to reconnect with old friends who now felt like strangers, choose a new church, and stop feeling like we were supposed to be on a plane headed back home any time now. After a year, we certainly still miss our Boston famiy, but have slowly reacquainted ourselves with Michigan life. I am starting my second year of school on Tuesday and it is nice to be going backt to something familiar rather than starting something new. We have chosen to attend a wonderful Vineyard Church, although we drive 40 minutes to get there (I know...you drive 45 minutes to go EVERYWHERE!) The church is about 35 miles away, but is already very close to our hearts. Anyway, there is life after a major move, but the return to it is slow, tedious and at times, depressing. I wish you all the best as you continue your journey. It will start to feel like home when you experience summer a second time. Until then, enjoy the transition and keep sharing!