Wednesday, December 17, 2008

101 Uses for Placemats


Placement Bags
Originally uploaded by radioflyer007
#98. (cloth placemats) In a pinch, can be used as hot pads

#99. (waffle rubber 'mats) help loosen the stubborn lid of a pasta sauce jar

#100. (vinyl 'mats) protect tables from plants and occasional plant spills

#101. (cloth 'mats) make idiot-proof purses

I'll be the first to admit that I have no knack for sewing. If a button falls off a shirt, I learn to live with out (provided it's not revealing anatomical parts that should be concealed). Rather than hem pants, I'll cuff them even if it's a total fashion foible.

I totally did not inherit my mom's sewing inclinations. She made her own wedding dress and all her bridesmaid dresses. She made my prom dress. She's hemmed countless trousers, replaced many lost buttons, and even tailored my wedding dress.

Soo...when I found that there was a really simple way to make purses with placemats, I jumped on it. Well, as the picture proves, these placemat purses are indeed idiot-proof. I made four in one day with no pattern and no sewing skills.

I love how the coordinated napkins worked as handles and a contrast detail on the bag itself. It's the perfect size for holding a wallet, phone, keys, a small notebook and a water bottle.

Now, if only I can sew placemats into slippers for the kids...

3 comments:

hopeng said...

very nice!
Here's a slipper craft that requires no sewing!!
http://familycrafts.about.com/library/projects/blpadslippers.htm

East By West said...

So I'm a bit confused. These "no-sew" slippers...do I make them with or without wings?!?!

hopeng said...

I would say without wings as they might get in the way of the "non slip grip strip" on the bottom. Don't go for the ultra thin ones either - go for the real thick ones!

I wonder if a Swiffer cloth should be used on the bottom, that way the kids can clean up all the crumbs they track around the house!

I expect to see a picture posted to see your slipper masterpiece!