Monday, August 6, 2007

Things I've Learned (so far) . . .

It seems as if this past month, I've been doing nothing but learning: the wrong way to go, the right way to go, the wrong way to drive on the freeways (unless I want to get myself killed), where the library and post office are, etc. I've also learned a bit about the state, the county, and the city I'm in. And of course, I've learned a bit more about myself. Here's a partial list of what I've learned so far . . .


ABOUT THE COUNTY AND CITY OF LOS ANGELES
- city's official birth date is September 4, 1781 (founded & named by Spaniards)
- American's entered Los Angeles in August 1846
- has almost 10 million residents (L.A. County)
- occupies 4,083 square miles
- represent 30% of CA's population and is larger than 42 U.S. states
- second largest Mexican, Armenian, Korean, Filipino, Salvadoran and Guatemalan city in the world
- third largest Canadian city
- largest Japanese, Iranian and Cambodian communities in the U.S.


ABOUT REDONDO BEACH
- has over 63,000 residents squeezed into 5 square miles
- typical lot size for a single family home (averaging 1700-1800 SF) is 25'x100'; in addition to the house, that provides enough land space to park your trashcan . . . and nothing else
- still known as a tourist and resort town
- has some of CA's best and most innovative schools (according to RB's website)
- it may be cool and breezy in the summer but beach living is somewhat damp
- sand in RB is likened to grass in the Northeast where I come from (walks in the sand, playgrounds in the sand, picnics in the sand, strollers in the sand . . . you get the picture)


ABOUT LIFE IN L.A.
- when people say "I'm from L.A." most likely they mean L.A. County and not the city of L.A.
- people from Orange County (otherwise known as the O.C.) will never say they're from L.A.
- people don't use their signals on the freeway because other drivers will speed up and prevent them from changing lanes
- wine and beer is sold EVERYWHERE at ANYTIME (there is no blue law here!) such as grocery stores, wholesale storefronts, drug stores, department stores, toy stores (okay, so I'm kidding about the last two but seriously! . . . )
- no such thing as a stick of butter - it comes in a BRICK (who says "add a brick of butter to your recipe"?!)


ABOUT MYSELF
- I don't LOOK like I'm from New England (in other words, I don't stick out like a sore thumb)
- my favorite shoes are flip flops and my feet haven't worn socks since we've arrived here
- I guess I can live with the 4"x4" glazed tiles everyone seems to have as kitchen counter tops (but I still think it's silly to have grout where one constantly prepares food)
- if it's before 10 AM or after 6 PM, I need to wear a sweater (seriously)
- I miss my family and my friends more than I thought I would
- I am more resilient than I think

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Yes, you are more resiliant than you think...
You must have SWISS butter! I could use a brick for some swiss recipes! :)

Araz had his naturalization party this weekend, before going back to L.A. Our twins told him to go and visit Travis and Nicole for them...

CR said...

And another thing to learn: if AirBoss hasn't found it yet: the nearest Fry's electronics is at the Northwest corner of RB, on the border with El Segundo, on PCH.

Love reading, though I don't get to it often!

tallasiandude said...

It's funny to read your observations about L.A. drivers. I'm from L.A. originally (San Fernando Valley), and I always thought the New England drivers were the ones that were incapable of using their turn signals.

The only explanation I have for this discrepancy is that California is full of people "from somewhere else," and thus the increased presence of non-turn-signalers must be directly related to the influx of people from the Northeast that have moved to California to escape the cold weather. :)