Friday, October 31, 2008

Is There a Doctor in the House?


A doctor's "practice"
Originally uploaded by radioflyer007
For two years straight, my mom has pulled through on another Halloween costume for 'Shroom! I had ambitiously purchased a "simple" Butterick pattern from Jo-Ann fabrics so I wouldn't have to spend $15 - $25 on some cheaply made ghoulish costume (although not all store-purchased costumes are ghoulish or cheap, it's hard to find the ones that aren't AND fit 35-lb 'Shroom).

I am ashamed to say, I wimped out. I sent the pattern and the fabric to Grandma in Boston and she whipped it up and turned it around in less than a week. Yup - from mailbox to mailbox, it was less than one week! Days before Halloween, 'Shroom would excitedly tell anyone who had asked him (and even those who didn't) what he would be for halloween. "A doctor!"

He told me the other day that he wanted to a doctor who took care of kids. And gave shots. This was said the day after he received 3 shots from his pediatrician.

Once 'Shroom put on his doctor's outfit (cap, shirt, pants, and a photo I.D. around his neck), he carried himself in a more confident manner. He was more outgoing and happy and of course, he enjoyed the compliments of "oh what a cute doctor!"

Hmmm . . . I guess I should look to see if Butterick has a pattern for a "student costume" so he can wear one year round! I'll even make five -- one for each day of the week.

Thank you again Boston Grandma for coming through for 'Shroom and me!

No comments: