Tuesday, July 29, 2008

My First Earthquake Experience

Do I feel like a dope. Yep - I'm a New Englander at heart and this earthquake thing is all so foreign to me. So I'm homeschooling the kids upstairs in their bedroom and the whole house starts shaking.

My first thought?

"Those darn construction workers are running around on the roof and shaking the whole house!" [I don't remember if any expletives followed but for the sake of this "family-friendly" blog, let's just assume not.]

Air Boss rushed into the room and he immediately had the reaction "Earthquake!" (can you tell he's had a little more "experience" living in CA than me?)

I grabbed 'Shroom and stood under the bedroom doorframe (is that still the thing to do? or am I still a dope?) and Air Boss grabbed Lolli and headed out of the house. (uh, what am I still doing under this doorframe?)

I followed Air Boss out and we saw all the window blinds in our unit and the next swaying. I'm still thinking, "Dang, that's one heavy construction worker."

Yeah - okay, just say it. I'm the biggest dope.

We survived a 5.8 quake and folks way down in San Diego even felt it. After flipping on the TV and watching the news, I FINALLY gave up the notion that it was a heavy-set construction worker running on our flat rooftop.

So, if any of my East Coast friends and family who have never experienced a quake, I am honored to share with you that it feels like a fat man running really fast on your roof.

Sorry I don't have a photo of the epi-center to post. The LA Times server is down. Wonder if it has anything to do with a large man running on their rooftop . . .

5 comments:

hopeng said...

wow - homeschooling and earthquakes - two things that aren't happening over here!

BettyH said...

Wow! That must have lasted a long time for you still to see swaying and feel shaking after you got out of the apartment. My first quake shook the whole house, but was over before I had time to think about what it could be.

Unknown said...

Hope Air Boss wasn't running out with Lolli while the earthquake was taking place.... that is a no no! You might get hurt from falling objects. (Take it from a long time CA resident and an earthquake surviver!)

Be prepared, I heard an even fatter man will be running on top of your roof in the next 30 years!

Unknown said...

the fat man must be in pretty good shape tho', cuz he ran all the way down here ;)

Ang said...

It was great to run into you at Costco! I kind of forgot that your kids had real names besides Shroom and Lolli!

In my CA, albeit non-native, experience, when the fat guy running starts creating cracking sounds in the walls, then it ain't no fat guy!