Saturday, May 10, 2008

Rules, Rules and More Rules

This past week I've been so frustrated with my Bible study group that I nearly walked out in the middle of the small group discussion time. While this is a large international organization with tons of members and volunteers involved, it seems like there are just as many rules and guidelines. Although I've enjoyed the Bible study and Lolli has learned so much in the kids' program, this past year has been quite difficult for me to swallow. Rules, rules, and more rules. Many of them stated and mentioned. But none of them written down. When I had asked if I could type up the rules (so I don't have to have my hand slapped when I "break" a rule that I hadn't even realized was a rule), the leader discouraged me from doing so.

"We don't want a list of rules to get in the wrong hands," was her explanation. "If that happens, our organization which is made unique by these rules, will no longer be unique. Other people can copy those rules and make their own study group. Also, if a non-believing person saw this list of rules, it would deter them from wanting to come and learn about the Bible."

I couldn't believe my ears. Was she for real?

"I've often heard that imitation is the best form of flattery," I had rebutted. "So what if some renegade group wants to copy the rules? I had always thought what made this group unique was the curriculum. And we know that is already copyrighted."

I also secretly thought (but with much restraint did not say) "do you honestly think that all these rules are what makes people want to join a group like this?"

But I DID say, "With regards to the list getting into the hands of a non-member and their freakin' out over the sheer volume of rules, well, at least they're getting an accurate picture of what the group is about."

I wasn't asking to change the rules nor was I asking permission to bend them. I was just asking if they could be published in a list so that we all would get the same information and have some sort of refrence tool to remember the 20 gagillion rules. I had even offered to type them up and make them available for distribution. I may has well asked to make photocopies of the copyrighted lessons for mass distribution to the public.

Well, I've said my piece. I do recognize this organization as one doing a great service in helping many learn about the Bible but I guess in my case, I may just do better in another type of environment that isn't so rule-based. It just seems so ironic that we had studied earlier this year how many of the religious leaders of Jesus' time had upheld the traditions and man-made rules much higher than God's intent for these rules. I guess the letter of the law is more important than the spirit of the law.

Quite ironic, huh?

3 comments:

hopeng said...

Man, just when I was thinking if I should join such a group next year with the little one. I guess I shouldn't consider it anymore - because knowing me, my big mouth and lack of memory skills these days, I'd be in trouble too!

West By East: said...

I would still check out your local group (if there is one). I think each location, each chapter is different. Some groups are sticklers for rules and other groups may be a bit more flexible. Hopefully, you won't have the same experience I've had. Somehow I don't recall my previous group (in MA) being so legalistic. Good luck and let me know what your experience is like!

Ang said...

A couple of my friends went to CBS, similar format but fewer rules. And one of my friends who did that was the daughter of the regional director of your org!

...or at least which org I think you're writing about. Rules + Bible study usually points to just one int'l org. Tom and I were in it for a few years and leaders for one year. Learned a lot, especially submission to said rules!

I don't think I could do it now (could barely do it then!). I heard the kids' program is great though.

- Angela (from MIT)