Thursday, January 3, 2008

The Start to 2008


New Year's Crash
Originally uploaded by
radioflyer007

The New Year should bring about new hopes, new goals, new resolutions and other things along those lines. Although Air Boss and I aren't really into making New Year's resolutions (that way we can say we didn't fall short of our resolutions at the end of the year!), perhaps I can make one exception:

- stay out of Emergency Rooms for the rest of this year

What should have been a pretty ho-hum trip to a local food market turned into a crying, sobbing, bloody mess in a very public place. Long story short, 'Shroom and Lolli, who were climbing the sides of the shopping cart, tip the metal cart over. The crash brought loud screams from the youngsters, panicked looks from other shoppers, and record-breaking sprints from Air Boss and me.

'Shroom was pinned underneath the shopping cart. Lolli looked like she had fared better as she simply lay sprawled on the floor. I scooped her up as Air Boss freed 'Shroom. Air Boss and I tried to calm and quiet the kids down because we were now drawing a concerned (or was it curious?) crowd.

As I walked away with Lolli's head resting on my shoulder (she was still sobbing), I heard Air Boss yell from behind me, "She's hurt! She's hurt!" Sure enough, when I turned Lolli's head my way I saw that both her eyes were streaming blood.

I felt my heart stop beating.

When Lolli saw the blood on her hands, her sobs reached a new pitch. "No blood! No blood!" she shrieked. "I don't want blood!"

Somehow, we managed to pull ourselves together, even pay for our groceries, and bee-line it to a local hospital emergency room (not without having to call a friend to find out where the nearest ER was).

Lolli ended up with a gash just outside of her right eye. There was no injury to her left eye and the blood from that eye was probably transferred there by Lolli herself as she was touching her face. Even though she could have used one to two stitches, we opted to use the skin glue to hold the laceration together. It was too close to her eye and we didn't think we would be successful in keeping her motionless as the doctor stitched her up.

Well, our little Lolli is back to normal (except for the eye which I try to hide with a bucket hat on her head as I'm sure she would get some stares from people). She has been a tropper ("I didn't cry when the doctor saw me" is her proud moment).

Oh, and yes. 'Shroom and Lolli have learned not to climb on shopping carts again. A lesson well-learned. I just wish it didn't require a trip to the ER for that lesson to be learned.


No comments: