Thursday, November 29, 2007

A Busy Thanksgiving

Okay, so I'm about a week late in posting my Thanksgiving summary . . . at least it's still technically November . . .

It was a busy four days. For staying local in the LA area (and not wanting to see the mayhem at LAX), we sure did pack in a lot of miles during the holiday. Over 500 miles in four days. Air Boss did all of the driving. He da man.

No turkey on Turkey Day. Actually, nothing American about our Thanksgiving food. We had Mexican for lunch (okay, I guess burritos, quesadillas, and fish tacos are as "American" here in LA as apple pie is elsewhere in the country) and Japanese for dinner (hot pot, anyone?). 'Shroom was confused.

"Where's the turkey?" he had asked. I'm surprised that his LA public schooling didn't teach about different cultural ways of celebrating the holiday. Then again, he's the only non-white in his class.

We also spent the long weekend with cousins from both sides of my family.

Also celebrated three birthdays in two days.

And discovered the land of Lego where everything from the Taj Mahal to the Empire State Building were constructed of Lego's. Even saw a little Lego guy with his pants pulled down to his ankles in a "public" restroom at Grand Central. All in Lego. Pretty impressive details (the Legos in general - not the restroom scene).

I missed my family back East terribly. It was my first Thanksgiving I've missed with my family since my junior year in college. 'Shroom was missing his Grandma back in Boston and Lolli was wondering if people in Boston were also celebrating Thanksgiving.

Every day was spent outside of the house from the moment we left the house in the morning until we returned at night just in time to put the kids to bed late. Long days . . . which made for a difficult Monday morning when reality settled back in. Not a pretty scene in this Redondo Beach home.

Well, we're pretty much back into the swing of things. Air Boss will be leaving in a few days for a week-long trip to Boston. I with the two kids will be holding down the fort here. Air Boss is hoping for snow while he's back East. We'll see about that.

1 comment:

hopeng said...

We missed you guys too!
They are predicting snow for Sunday night, but then it turns to rain. Hopefully then it won't freeze and we have nice slick ice (remember that sheet of ice on your van?).