Thursday, March 22, 2007

Spring Fever

Spring has always been my favorite season. Sometimes, unfortunately, in New England, it may also be the shortest. I believe it theoretically begins on March 21 but snowfall can occur until mid-April and heat waves can begin as early as late May. When that happens, I would only get a month of my favorite season.

Anyway, we still have several inches of frozen crusty snow on the ground (sprinkled with dirt and pebbles). Not your "soft blanket of pure white snow" that Norman Rockwell would paint.

Well, snow or no snow on the ground, I'm glad it's spring! Lolli and I are commemorating the passage of time with our first picnic of the year. Yup, we're sitting on a dark red plaid blanket with our sandwiches and juice boxes . . . in the middle of our playroom floor. Okay, so the weather is still a brisk 45 degrees out but who cares! It's warm enough to melt snow, right?!

Lolli is simply tickled pink (or maybe just dressed in pink) to have the freedom to eat in a room that has always been a food-forbidden-area.

"I like today," she had said with a big smile on her face (and her mouth jammed full with PB&J).

"What do you like about today?" I had asked her.

"I get to eat a picnic," was her response.

Yup, I'm going to miss these spectacular seasonal changes. But at least having a picnic will be more of a year-round thing in CA, right? =)

No comments: