Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Homeschooling--Not For Me

I've just spent the past 45 minutes teaching 'Shroom what I thought would be a rather basic skill for a 4+ year old. Who would have thought that pointing to objects lined up and counting how many items there are would take so long—I sure didn’t. What an utterly frustrating and hair-ripping experience. Sad to say, this has not been the first painful attempt to teach 'Shroom.

I can't believe I even entertained the thought of homeschooling him. At least today, neither one of us broke down crying which isn't usually the case. I am so angry at him and his seemingly un-teachable persona. I know he’s not stupid but why does it take so much energy, grief, and brain-wracking attempts to find yet-another-way-to-teach out of me? Am I the stupid one? How difficult should it be teach a 4 yr old how to learn three letters (C, K, and E were the letter for today) and to count 12 objects lined up in a row?

When I was in high school, I tutored other high school students in math. In college, I led a Bible study small group (well, if you could say 28 students made a small group) and was told on several occasions that I had a knack for teaching. I even applied to grad school to pursue a Masters in Education! . . .

. . . and yet I can’t even teach my own child that the number 10 comes after 9.

It’s a good thing Harvard never accepted me into their program. I would probably be over $50K in debt and unemployed. After all, who would want to hire a person who couldn’t even teach a 4 yr old an basic age-appropriate skill?

Homeshooling? No way. I am hoping that it’s my poor teaching skill that is the problem and not the student. I’m hoping that the public LA school system will come through for ‘Shroom because I certainly don’t know how to teach him.

No comments: