Tuesday, February 27, 2007

The Green House

We've bit the bullet and put "our green house" on the FSBO market this past Wednesday and who knew how much it would take get a condo in "open house ready" condition.

Air Boss and I would have good laughs at how last minute our preparations would be. Yes, we stayed up until well past midnight painting the ceiling the night before the open house. The next morning, we realized the ceiling had streaks! The second coat of paint was finished with an hour to spare before the private showing. Yes, the paint smell was something to contend with but othing open windows on a cold winter day and pear-scented candles couldn't take care of.

On the emotional front, I've been so caught up with the busyness of getting things ready to market one's house for a sale that I haven't really processed what it all means to move across the country. I was on the phone with a friend and surprised myself (and probably my friend, too) by breaking down crying. I hadn't fully realized how I was going to miss my friends, my family, my way of life here on the East Coast.

In some sort of desperate attempt to hold onto things truly New England, I pulled the blue sled out of our closet (nicely hidden for those house showings) and for the first time EVER, took the kids sledding in our backyard. They had a blast! In fact, they were angry at me as I cut short their fun as I tried to get them in the car to drive 'Shroom to preschool.

Lolli and I returned home and continued to play in the backyard (45 degrees, sunny, and great snowball packing snow - couldn't get any better than that!). We built our first snowman of the season (complete with smile and spikey hair made up of tiny twigs). Lolli finally agreed to go inside for lunch only after yelling to 'snowmanboy', "eat lots of snow and you'll grow big and strong!"

We ARE going to miss our green house . . . and our lives as we know it here in New England. I wonder if the kids will remember their early years on the East Coast. I, on the other hand, will have a hard time forgetting.

No comments: