Wednesday, January 6, 2010

$50 for a tooth from the Tooth Fairy?!?!

'Shroom has yet to lose his first tooth. And he's the ripe old age of 7. For the past month now, both his front eye teeth are loose and the new adult teeth have already emerged. He has two rows of teeth with one of his old baby teeth jutting out of his mouth at a 45 degree angle. A bit disturbing to see.

During the Christmas holiday, Air Boss has tied countless things to his protruding tooth in the hopes that he (or 'Shroom) would be able to yank it out. We didn't have the heart to tie the string, thread, floss (we've tried it all) to a doorknob. Didn't want to make the loss of the first tooth that traumatic and emotionally life damaging.

Well, scrap that idea. Today Air Boss will be taking him to the dentist to get both his front teeth extracted. Yes - baby teeth extraction. I'm so cheap that I've offered 'Shroom $50 if he pulls out his own loose tooth. Just one. Not even both. When he didn't even balk at the proposition, I offered him the incentive in LEGO's (he probably doesn't know how much $50 is). Before you think I'm jumping on the bandwagon by offering cold hard cash for useless baby teeth (and I'm not the sentimental type and I'm even less for keeping up with the Joneses), $50 worth of LEGO's would be a win-win situation.

Since baby teeth extractions are NOT covered by our dental plan, it would be cheaper for me to pay 'Shroom in LEGO's than pay the dental fees for pulling out these teeth.

"Why don't YOU do it?" you're probably wondering.

I'm his mom.

I have to face this kid every day. Need I say more? (I'll also add that I'm a wuss when it comes to pain...and yes, I think it will be painful for 'Shroom, too!)

Maybe we'll have pictures tonight of a big gap in 'Shroom's mouth if all goes well at the dentist office today . . .

$50 for a tooth - that's not so bad . . . right?

3 comments:

hopeng said...

if it's that loose, it won't really hurt to pull it out. I was ready to pull B's out but he was the wus. He knew he had a dentist appt to get it pulled but I didn't want him thinking that he could go there everytime a tooth needed to be pulled!! (there's like more than 30 to loose, right?). He wouldn't let me pull it but fortunately it came out while he was brushing his teeth. How did it go? Your insurance doesn't cover any of it? Our insurance would have covered some of it but not all.

Unknown said...

my parents tried the doorknob thing w/ my 1st tooth..it was SO loose that they didn't even finish tying it to the doorknob, b4 it fell out! ;)
unfortuately for me, since my teeth were not falling out on their own at a fast enuf rate b4 i outgrew my jaw, i had to have 5 teeth extracted in a 2 week timespan...NOT fun! i didn't even get a break from practicing piano..i distinctly remember trying to practice w/ a numb mouth...guess my hands weren't numb, so it wasn't an excuse ;P
hope 'shroom gets lots of ice cream tonite! :)

BettyH said...

Abby got her tooth out with the twisting method. I couldn't pull it out either - guess I'm a wuss when it comes to my own kids.

Then again, getting the injection to numb it up isn't any fun either, unless they get gas first.